Please keep an eye on this page for any further information and updates. We will also post starting school advice and things for you to do at home. We look forward to meeting you very soon.
The following information went home at the beginning of May.
Getting ready for school.
There are a number of ways in which you can support your child with getting ready to start school. We will continue to add ideas that you might want to try at home ready for September.
- To recognise own name and begin to write own name.
- Practice going to the toilet independently - including starting to wipe own bottom.
- Explaining the importance of washing hands before eating and after visiting the toilet.
- Encouraging your child to dress and undress themselves independently - this would also include putting on coats and shoes.
- To begin to use a knife and fork
As a school, we follow the RWI phonics programme and we will have a phonics meeting with you in September to find out more about it and ways that you can help at home. Below we have attached a video from the RWI website demonstrating the pure sounds and also a jolly phonics video with a song for every sound!
For anyone practising writing letters or name writing at home at the minute at Wootton Lower School we teach the pre-cursive letter formation from Reception. Please see below for a copy of our school script if you wish to practice at home.